The Tricerchi is an ancient family whose origins date back to the Middle Ages. The first documents testify their presence in the Monte dei Nove, the “Good Government” of 9 families who led Siena from 1287 to 1355 under the Medici. Numerous manuscripts report the Tricerchi as Homini d’Arme, in the Battle of Monteaperti between Florence and Siena. The Family was represented by Sir Alessandro Tricerchi, Knight of the High Thoughts, whose motto was “not in latera pro nos” (not through side paths), but straight to the sky, for the love of these lands.
In 1441, with the Spanish invasion, the Tricerchi completed the construction of the castle along the Via Francigena, starting a strong relationship with the Church. The symbol of the family has always been a bull on three circles. This has been maintained by the Squarcia’s Family, the 17th generation direct descendants, today producers of Brunello di Montalcino.
Castello Tricerchi estate extends for 400 hectares north of Montalcino, which 13 hectares of Sangiovese divided into 7 vineyards. The cellars are located in the ancient dungeons of the Castle, where the natural microclimate allow the Sangiovese a traditional ageing in large Slavonian oak barrels.